Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September 23, 2008

I haven't posted now for almost a week. I've had some not-so-good days and just didn't feel up to sitting at the computer. I'm feeling quite perky today, so wanted to write an update on what's happening the Larson household.

Again, my thanks to those of you who stopped by this week and/or brought in food. Your visits, concern and the food are all much appreciated. One thing about an illness in a family, it brings about visits from people we haven't seen as much as we'd like to during the past years. It really drives home the importance of keeping in touch with those we love and care about.

We had our family picture taken on Sunday. We left a place for our new little great-granddaughter so her picture could be added after she gets here (around Oct. 24). Our entire family was there and we're very anxious to get the pictures on Friday. As always, the hard part will be trying to narrow down the ones we want to under 500. The photographer took a lot of pictures!

As I said, I've had a few days that past week that have been a little tough, but I've also had some good days. It's now been over a week since I started on the witches brew. The instructions said I would probably feel worse before I felt better as my body gets rid of all the toxins, so I was prepared to not feel well. Sunday and Monday were about the two worst days, but today I'm feeling stronger and not nauseous. I am scheduled to have a PET scan on Wednesday. From that, they should be able to tell where else the cancer has spread. My sister said that perhaps it would just be better to be like an ostridge and stick our heads in the sand and hope for the best. But, I want to know, as much as possible, what I'm facing.

I met with the oncologist last Friday, and he said there is a zero percent chance of surviving this type of cancer with as big as it is and being inoperable. He suggested chemo to perhaps buy some time. But, I've decided against it as I don't want to risk losing any quality time I have just to get deathly sick from the chemo in hopes of prolonging the inevitable for a few weeks. This is the MEDICAL prognosis. So, alternative treatments are my only hope. Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!

My family continues to be a rock for me with their love and support. How I will hate leaving them if this all goes south! We are such a close family, and almost daily go through a full range of emotions--from laughing to crying. I hope they remember the laughing more than the crying.

I'll write more after the PET scan.
Love to you all,
Jinny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Friends,
I have been home from my Utah visit for 3 days and I want to come back soon! I am so very happy to have had some time to see you both. As I am in California and not in your neighborhood, please close your eyes often, take 3 deep breathes and feel my arms around you, my love for you and my prayers for each of you.

Hang in there and DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO EVERY DAY!!

Love,
Elaine Burnett xoxoxoxoxox

Ashli Paynter said...

Grandma,
You are so amazing! If anything you are the one who as been the rock through this so far. You are so strong and determined.I want you to know I appreciate everything you are doing so much to get strong and healthy!I know it has been hard the past week, but it worth every second to get you stronger! I love you so much. I admire you strength and good additued with all this going on. I too cant wait to see the pic. and my big fat belly! That's always so fun to see and be reminded of! I am excited for you to get back in town and update us on how it all went. I love you grandma.